Volunteering at Fairchild
Volunteers let a few hours of their time blossom into a world of new experiences while working in Fairchild’s beautiful environment. Fairchild volunteers have been an integral part of the Garden’s history and contribute to every aspect of our operations.
Volunteers learn new skills, make a positive impact in the community and the world, and advance Fairchild’s mission through their hands-on support of our programs. Fairchild volunteers have access to a wide range of classes and training opportunities. All active Fairchild volunteers who give a minimum of 30 hours of service a year automatically become part of the Friends of Fairchild, which hosts lectures, field trips, and social activities.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on becoming a volunteer today!
Volunteer jobs require a commitment of 3-4 hours per week for a minimum of three months. These are typically done with one shift per week on the same day, although some areas are more flexible than others. The minimum age for Fairchild Volunteers is 14.
Short-term opportunities are available for those that would like to do a one-day volunteer activity or for students requiring community service hours.
Once you are a Fairchild Volunteer, you are required to participate in Core Class Training as well as additional training for specific volunteer areas.
Volunteer Information Sessions
Volunteer Information Events are held throughout the year to inform Fairchild members and the public about available opportunities and requirements. Following the application and interview process, volunteers are selected for programs based on their experience, skills and availability. In certain program areas, a second placement interview is required. The types and numbers of openings vary considerably throughout the year.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Education Volunteer Recruitment:
Saturday, Sept 4th
Please contact email@example.com to register.
Where You Can Volunteer
Currently recruiting for
- Wings of the Tropics
- These hosts educate guests about butterflies while maintaining USDA guidelines for exhibit, butterfly, and guest safety!
- Tuesdays: 10AM-1PM
Saturday/Sunday: 10AM-1PM and 1PM-4PM
- Weekday mornings, positions vary but can include weeding, pruning, planting, invasive plant removal, and more.
- Assisting with our Phone Campaign and special events!
- Garden Ambassadors
- Every day, shifts available 10am-1pm or 1-4pm. Ambassadors represent the Garden and ensure the safety of plants and people by assisting with way-finding, enforcing rules & regulations, and educating guests about collections or locations.
- Student Program, Open to students on weekends and holidays, many opportunities from available volunteer positions. Shifts 10-1 and 1-4!
- Visitor Services: Tram Tours/South Gate
- Education: Leading children’s group tours during the school year! Join us at our EDUCATION specific recruitment session on Saturday, September 4th to learn more!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Volunteer opportunities vary throughout the year, but can include any of the following areas:
Wings of the Tropics
Fairchild’s Current Internship opportunities:
Volunteer Department Staff
Isabel Sanchez, Director of Volunteer Services and HR
Jemma Peterson, Database and Communications Coordinator
William Navas, Volunteer Coordinator
305-667-1651,ext. 3324 or email@example.com