Volunteering at Fairchild
Volunteers let a few hours of their time blossom into a world of new experiences while working in Fairchild’s beautiful environment. Fairchild volunteers have been an integral part of the Garden’s history and contribute to every aspect of our operations.
Volunteers learn new skills, make a positive impact in the community and the world, and advance Fairchild’s mission through their hands-on support of our programs. Fairchild volunteers have access to a wide range of classes and training opportunities. All active Fairchild volunteers who give a minimum of 30 hours of service a year automatically become part of the Friends of Fairchild, which hosts lectures, field trips, and social activities.
Please contact email@example.com for information on becoming a volunteer today!
Volunteer jobs require a commitment of 3-4 hours per week for a minimum of three months. These are typically done with one shift per week on the same day, although some areas are more flexible than others. The minimum age for Fairchild Volunteers is 16. Limited opportunities for students under 16 are available.
Short-term opportunities are available for those that would like to do a one-day volunteer activity or for students requiring community service hours.
Once you are a Fairchild Volunteer, you are required to participate in Core Class Training as well as additional training for specific volunteer areas.
Volunteer Information Sessions
Volunteer Information Events are held throughout the year to inform Fairchild members and the public about available opportunities and requirements. Following the application and interview process, volunteers are selected for programs based on their experience, skills and availability. In certain program areas, a second placement interview is required. The types and numbers of openings vary considerably throughout the year.
Upcoming Information Sessions:
Virtual Recruitment – TBA
Due to COVID-19 procedure at the Garden, there are limited opportunities available.
Where You Can Volunteer
Currently recruiting for
- Weekday mornings, positions vary but can include weeding, pruning, planting, invasive plant removal, and more.
- Garden Ambassadors
- Every day, shifts available 10am-1pm or 1-4pm. Ambassadors represent the Garden and ensure the safety of plants and people by assisting with way-finding, enforcing rules & regulations, and educating guests about collections or locations.
- Special Events
- Various events throughout the year, customer service based positions including but not limited to plant sales, way-finding, and activity stations. No long term volunteering requirement necessary.
- Wings of the Tropics
- Weekends from 1-4pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am-1pm
- Available for volunteers age 18+, ensuring guest safety while welcoming guests in and out of the exhibit, informing guests of rules and regulations as per USDA guidelines, and working as a team to maintain day to day exhibit maintenance.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Volunteer opportunities are available in the following programs areas.
Volunteer Department Staff
Isabel Sanchez, Director of Volunteer Services and HR
Jemma Peterson, Database and Communications Coordinator
William Navas, Volunteer Coordinator
305-667-1651,ext. 3324 or email@example.com