Internships and Scholarships
Undergraduate and Graduate Internships
Other Internship Opportunities
Volunteer Coordinator Intern
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (FTBG) is currently seeking a Volunteer Coordinator Intern to assist with the daily operations of the Volunteer Department Program. Help recruit, select, train, motivate and supervise volunteers.
You will gain administrative and organizational skills, as well as learn about non-profit management. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, self-starter looking to increase the profile of service and volunteerism benefiting FTBG. This position will report to the Director of Human Resources & Volunteer Services. It will be an active participant in a dynamic team that connects the community with service opportunities benefiting FTBG. Interns work 25-40 hours per week for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks.
Positions are experience-based and are therefore unpaid.
- Assist in developing volunteer opportunities for FTBG, including conducting research, recruitment, and onsite attendance/management.
- Provide support for volunteer coordination and events, scheduling volunteer events, and communicating with volunteers.
- Assist with activities related to volunteer recruitment, training, and retention, and coordinating events.
- Assist with volunteer Jurassic Garden duties such as development, planning, coordination, and execution as needed.
- Assist with all communications, including print marketing, targeted participant recruitment, and online listings when appropriate.
- Assist in writing volunteer newsletters and other email announcements to volunteers.
- Files, photocopies/scans, data entry, and manages data within Volgistics, a volunteer management database.
- Assist with managing volunteer applicants and tracks pending applicants.
- Revamp volunteer web pages on the FTBG website.
- Take photos of volunteers during service.
- Assist volunteers at the Wings of Tropics Butterfly Exhibit as needed.
- Assist staff as needed with special projects.
- An undergraduate student enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Enthusiasm and patience in working with volunteers of all ages; ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Knowledge of various computer systems, including Microsoft Office (Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook)
- Basic working knowledge of internet social networking tools
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-motivated, flexible, quick learner, and possesses a high level of personal integrity
- The ability to lift objects to 40 lbs., work in various weather conditions, and stand/walk for long periods of time is preferred.
Please contact Jemma Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in applying.