Internships and Scholarships
High School Internships
Undergraduate and Graduate Internships
The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Education Department seeks STEMLab interns for the 2023-2024 school year! STEMLab Interns will assist with educating, emails, data entry, calendar coordination, and prepping materials in the Million Orchid Lab. You will gain teaching and leadership skills and learn about informal outdoor education. Interns will work with a team of staff members and passionate volunteers working to provide middle school students with the opportunity to engage in hands-on orchid research and propagation techniques.
Candidates must be able to commit to at least 12 hours per week for the spring semester. Work hours are primarily on weekdays as our programming runs on Tues/Wed/Thurs. There are a limited amount of stipends available for this opportunity; however, community service and/or credit hours are also available. This position reports to Dr. Nichole Tiernan, Botanical Research Associate.
- Assist in teaching the in-person STEMLab programming Tues, Wed, and Thurs from 8am–1pm.
- Assist in preparing materials for STEMLab visits.
- Training in the orchid lab and learning sterile techniques to prepare materials for STEMLab visits.
- Provide support for education volunteers by training them on content and collaboratively executing lessons.
- Assist education staff as needed with special projects and events.
- An undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong time management skills.
- Self-motivated, flexible, quick learner, and possesses a high level of personal integrity.
- Enthusiasm and patience in working with students of all ages; ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- The ability to lift objects to 20 lbs., work in various weather conditions, and stand/walk for extended periods is preferred.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Nichole Tiernan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Volunteer Coordinator Intern:
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (FTBG) is currently seeking a Volunteer Coordinator Intern to assist with the daily operations of the Volunteer Department Program. Help recruit, select, train, motivate and supervise volunteers.
You will gain administrative and organizational skills, as well as learn about non-profit management. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, self-starter looking to increase the profile of service and volunteerism benefitting FTBG. This position will report to the Director of Human Resources & Volunteer Services. They will be an active participant in a dynamic team that connects the community with service opportunities benefiting FTBG. Interns work 15-25+ hours per week for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks.
Positions are experience-based and are therefore unpaid.
- Assist in developing volunteer opportunities for FTBG, including conducting research, recruitment, and onsite attendance/management.
- Provide support for volunteer coordination and events, scheduling volunteer events, and communicating with volunteers.
- Assist with activities related to volunteer recruitment, training, and retention, and coordinating events.
- Assist with travelling exhibit duties such as development, planning, coordination, and execution as needed.
- Assist with all communications, including print marketing, targeted participant recruitment, and online listings when appropriate.
- Assist in writing volunteer newsletters and other email announcements to volunteers.
- Files, photocopies/scans, data entry, and manages data within Volgistics, a volunteer management database.
- Assist with managing volunteer applicants and tracks pending applicants.
- Revamp volunteer web pages on the FTBG website.
- Take photos of volunteers during service.
- Assist volunteers at the Wings of Tropics Butterfly Exhibit as needed.
- Assist staff as needed with special projects.
- An undergraduate student enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Enthusiasm and patience in working with volunteers of all ages; ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
- Knowledge of various computer systems, including Microsoft Office (Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook)
- Basic working knowledge of internet social networking tools
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-motivated, flexible, quick learner, and possesses a high level of personal integrity
- The ability to lift objects to 40 lbs., work in various weather conditions, and stand/walk for long periods of time is preferred.
Please contact Jemma Peterson at email@example.com if interested in applying.