2021-2022 Registered Schools Home Page
WELCOME TO THE 2021-22 STEMLAB PROGRAM
We are excited to have you host the 2021-22 STEMLab Program live at your school. This year, we will be visiting your school twice. Click here to see the Fall 2021 School Visit Schedule.
Before your visit, please be sure to complete the Pre-Visit Form.
- First Visit (Fall 2021): Students will learn about orchid biology, transplant orchids in sterile lab conditions aboard the STEMLab, and plant endangered orchids in your schoolyard.
- Second Visit (Spring 2022): Students will continue their research by deflasking the orchids we created in visit one and plant more orchids into your schoolyard.
Students will be collecting important data between the visits that will inform Fairchild research on native endangered orchids species.
NEW As a final project, students will have the opportunity to propose their new and original research ideas to the scientists at Fairchild.
To prepare teachers and students for participation in this important research, teachers must participate in a live training session led by Fairchild staff. If you missed the mandatory Teacher Workshop on Tuesday, August 17, please contact Dane Jaber at MDCPS.
Note: The M-DCPS Department of STEM Engagement chooses all STEMLab schools. School administrators will be notified as of August 1, 2021. If you are interested in getting on the list for next year, please contact Dane Jaber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the impact of the STEMLab program, please see the 2020-21 STEMLab Program Evaluation Report.
WELCOME TO STEMLAB 2021-22 INTRODUCTION VIDEO This video is designed to introduce you and your students to the STEMLab and the Million Orchid Project. Have your student watch it before the first visit.
- 2021-2022 STEMLab Research Protocols
- Fairchild Orchid Tracker APP for Apple
- Fairchild Orchid Tracker App for Andriod
- Sample Data Sheet for Classroom-based Research
- Bioreactor Tutorial
- Humidity Chamber Tutorial
- Growing Orchids on Trees – Outplaning Tutorial
- Classroom Resources
- Fairchild’s Million Orchid Project Overview (PowerPoint) – Coming Soon
- Orchids: The Masters of Lying Cheating and Stealing (video)
- Go Orchids (website)
- Other Resources