Policies & Guidelines
Etiquette and General Guidelines
To protect our plants and wildlife, and for the safety and enjoyment of our guests, please observe the following etiquette and policies when visiting Fairchild.
- We are a tobacco-free environment. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on Garden property, indoors or outdoors. This includes all buildings, grounds, restrooms, and parking lots.
- Firearms of any kind are not permitted.
- For their safety, please supervise your children at all times. It is recommended that children under the age of 14 be accompanied by an adult.
- Stay on pathways and mowed lawn areas. While we want you to smell the flowers, feel the trunks, and read the labels of our amazing specimens, please do not walk on top of plants to do so! Walking on open, mulched areas is permitted.
- The Garden is best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. Please do not run in the Garden.
- Even though you’re outside, please use your inside voice and speak softly in the Garden to enjoy the various sounds of nature.
- No matter your age, please do not climb on the trees.
- Sports, skating, and games are discouraged — and by discouraged, we mean please don’t.
- Refrain from picking flowers and plants so everyone can enjoy them.
- Fairchild is a botanical science organization. We study the many plants throughout the Garden. Please do not collect or remove seeds, flowers, fruits, plant labels, etc., as they are used for scientific purposes.
- There is no swimming or wading in any of the ponds, streams or water features.
- Service animals for the disabled are permitted; pets are not.
- Do not feed or handle wildlife. It can be harmful to them and to you.
- Please be mindful of vehicles.
- Protect yourself from the sun, insects, and dehydration, particularly in warmer months.
- Don’t be a litterbug. Dispose of your waste in the designated receptacles. If it’s recyclable, please use the recycle bins.
- The Garden provides benches throughout the grounds for resting.
- For safety, keep your personal items with you at all times. We cannot be held responsible for missing items. Please turn in any found items to our staff in the Visitor Center.
- Do not leave personal items in vehicles. Fairchild cannot be held responsible for missing items resulting from theft.
- You are permitted to take photos and video for personal use only, but do not block pathways or access for other visitors with tripods or monopods. Please check Fairchild’s Photo Policy in advance for rules and restrictions regarding all other types of photography.
- Strollers, wheelchairs, and power chairs are welcome in the Garden.
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times.
- Loitering or soliciting of any kind is not permitted.
- Two-wheeled scooters, bicycles and skateboards are not permitted.
The rights of other visitors to enjoy the Garden must always be respected. The Garden reserves the right to ask a visitor to leave for inappropriate or offensive behavior. Visitors will be held liable for any damage to Garden property.