Wednesdays, October 5, 12, and 19, 2022 | 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM Develop a playful sketchbook practice that grows your sketching skills through this 4 part series taught by TJ
Wednesdays, October 5, 12, and 19, 2022 | 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Develop a playful sketchbook practice that grows your sketching skills through this 4 part series taught by TJ Marston, urban sketcher and sketchbook lover! The series will consist of 4 sessions each lasting 3 weeks. Each session will dive into an essential drawing skill such as Shapes, Edges, Value, and Color.
While students are encouraged to take the whole series for maximum benefit, it’s not a requirement. Each session can be done on its own without needing another. Grab your sketchbook, and let’s play!
PART 2: EDGES
Inspired by the tropical garden surrounding us, students will complete a variety of abstract line and wash exercises designed to expand their understanding of various mediums, see and draw edges with greater ease, and unlock a fearless approach to sketching. This course is great for both beginner and experienced artists who want to sharpen their essential skills or find a more playful approach to sketching!
Supplies are not included in the cost. Please see a list of suggested supplies below:
“For the list below, whatever you have related to each item will work in the class, but I am including in what I suggest if you are looking to purchase new. I will have many supplies on hand to try as well!” – TJ
- Washy tape (various sizes or just ½ inch)
- Watercolor paint palette (basic 12 color palette or essential primary will work fine
- Watercolor brushes (I would suggest 3 round synthetic watercolor brushes [size 12, 8, 1] and one flat brush [size 14]
- Plastic palette or plate for mixing (may need more than what comes with a basic watercolor palette)
- Cup (for holding water)
- Paper towels(for drying brush and cleaning palette)
- Small spray bottle (optional for cleaning palette and wetting paints)
- A5 or larger Watercolor or Mixed media Sketchbook (smooth paper, 300 gsm weight, portrait, square, or landscape format ok)
- Watercolor pad or loose sheets (smooth or hot press, Size 9×12)
- Bulldog clips (optional for holding sketchbook pages flat)
- Pencil, Eraser
- Black waterproof fine-liner pen (microns or fountain pens with ink will work)
- Oil Pastels, water soluble pastels (Carandache), colored pencils, or crayons (for mixed media play, basic 12 color set)
- Black water soluble ink pen
- Waterbrush (size large)
Sketchbook Play: VALUE
Sketchbook Play: COLOR
Please stay tuned!
Instructor Bio: TJ Marston is an award-winning landscape designer, urban sketcher and part-time lecturer at Florida International University. TJ discovered a passion for sketching while pursuing her Master’s in Landscape Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania. Keeping a regular sketchbook boosted her creativity and became the foundation for her design process. TJ brings her passion for sketching into her popular visualization and design courses at FIU’s School of Architecture. More recently, TJ discovered urban sketching as a way to document her life with her family of five. She finds joy in helping others breakthrough their fears and develop new skills in their sketching journey.
Members $105 (for a three-session class)
Non-members $135 (for a three-session class)
Tickets are nonrefundable. This class runs rain or shine.
Ticket and Safety Information
You will receive your confirmation and eticket(s) via email. If you do not receive your tickets, please check your spam or clutter folders. You must present your etickets upon arrival.
Members: Please present your membership card upon arrival along with your eticket(s).